Translate

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Peas: A Diet Problem Solver

Hello my dear Ones,

Tonight I ate a bowl of peas with butter, sea salt, and onion powder. This doubled as my vegetarian protein source and yummy starch in wake of having a small salad.

While I "prepared" (that's a stretch... lol) the frozen peas, I peered at the calories per serving on the bag... Hmmm... Only 70 calories for 2/3 cup! Wow, that is better than 100 calories for a 1/2 cup of frozen lima beans...!

When about to serve, I asked my Mom if she wanted italian sauce on hers or butter (you know what she chose). Back story is that we elected to open a jar of portobella red sauce the night before to enhance an eggplant parmigiana we bought off a local pizzaria (I don't hesitate to 'doctor' frozen pizzas this way too), so it was a handy option to make the peas tasty and more nutritious (think lutein).

So, as we were munching happily and gratefully on our peas next to our many plants in the kitchen, I was thinking how we could have been having the peas with the sauce and I commented to my Mom (often enough referred to as 'Momsy'), "You know peas would be as good with italian sauce as pasta... And you would be eating complex carbohydrates (instead of simple carbohydrates)". I thought to myself.. no gluten either... Then I commented, "You know, you could make a lasagna by layering peas, then the traditional ingredients, more peas, etc.

Yeah, I know, the peas lasagna wouldn't hold up as well when being served, then again, it may serve nicer than one might think as the global shape of peas would make for an easy to separate dish with the cheeses being the means to hold it together....

So, if any of you get around to trying this before I do, let me know how it turns out...! lol

Much Love,

2 comments:

  1. I have to know, Tess!! How did your pea lasagne turn out? LOL You gorgeous thing! What a laugh. Sensible and practical substitute no doubt, and very funny! If it tasted really good, then I'll make one lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda (saw you at Greg Gile's jointl),

    Guess it was a good thing I suggested others try this before me because since then I have rarely been indulging in cheese... So, I still haven't tried it!

    Guess I'll have to try it when I can get "replicator cheese" maybe? lol

    If you try it, do tell how it turns out... lol.

    Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. :)